Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Third Day in Costa Rica...

Well I think it is going to be much easier for me to blog in the morning rather than at night. I am just too tired at night! But yesterday morning I finally had the famous rice and beans....and to my surprise it wasn't bad! I'm not going to say I didn't like it but it's not my favorite food. After breakfast Kayla and I went to the supermarket to pick up some snack foods for lunch....it was super hot in there (not sure if there was air conditioning), the meat section smelled, and there wasn't much food in there. I recognized a lot of brands but it was still a little overwhelming because of all the Spanish. I am understanding the money system much better and I can convert it very easily in my HEAD- I know that's a shocker! After the supermarket experience we rode the bus to the university to work on some homework in the computer lab. Then we all went into the auditorium where this gringo (the word they use for Americans) who has lived here for ten years and married to a Tican gave us some advice on cultural differences. These people do not have a "bubble" and the personal space is cut in half of what is normal in the United States. They are what we'd call "touchy" when they talk to you and it is very awkward at first....but that is just how they are. Maru kisses everyone on the cheek and everyone kisses her back. And I think I've figured out some of the traffic differences....in the US the buses watch out for the people in the street but here the people in the street watch out for the bus. But it still freaks me out when we practically graze another car or even a person! After the orientation we had a meeting with Seidy and Carolina (pronounced Caroleena), our ISA director people, about our upcoming trip to Tamarindo (http://www.ticotoursnadv.com/node/31). Kayla and I are going to do the canopy tours and I am really excited! Oh and another funny bathroom story: while at the university I needed to go the bathroom really bad so I ran to one I hadn't been too before. Well this one they were really trying to maximize the use of space and the toilet was so close to the wall that I literally could not fit! The length of my legs from my hip to my knees was great than the length from the toilet to the wall! And not by an inch or two either! I was forced to use the bathroom sideways! I'm sure if anyone could've seen me it would'[ve been quite comical to see me trying to bend and twist and move my legs in a way where I could simply use the bathroom! But after that experience we rode the bus back to the house and waited for dinner. We did have some other gringos with us for dinner which was nice because we were able to talk in English. A boy who was with the program a couple of years ago and knew Maru, well his brother, brother's girlfriend, and cousin were randomly traveling in Central America and stopped by for a visit. Maru even brought out the silver for the occasion. Well that's all for now...need to finish up my homework for my class! :)


P.S. I did take some pictures of the house yesterday but I don't have time to post them right now and I'm really not sure how to do it. But be looking for some pictures in the near future!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad Maru is taking such care of you. You tell her I appreciate her. Can't wait to see your pictures. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall of that bathroom, I bet your expressions were hilacious. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make my DAY!!! It is so wonderful to hear from you...I know some days will be harder than others but you can do it...just know we are here thinking of you, praying for you, and loving you every minute. (do you have any chocolate)
    Keep up the good work... Gr Mama

    ReplyDelete